Friday, January 30, 2015

Breast Cancer Patient Abused In Tesco For Wearing A "Booby Hat"

When a woman with breast cancer was insulted for wearing a knitted hat shaped like a breast, she wrote a letter to her local paper. Then thousands of people came together to show their support.


An online campaign has emerged to support a woman with breast cancer who suffered public abuse for wearing a knitted breast-shaped hat, like this one:


An online campaign has emerged to support a woman with breast cancer who suffered public abuse for wearing a knitted breast-shaped hat, like this one:


Facebook: saffronwaldenboobiebellion


It started this week when the woman – who remains anonymous – wrote to her local paper, the Walden Local , about the incident in the Saffron Walden branch of Tesco:


It started this week when the woman – who remains anonymous – wrote to her local paper, the Walden Local, about the incident in the Saffron Walden branch of Tesco:


News Shopper / Via facebook.com



I have a message for the 'lady' I met in Tesco on a recent Saturday afternoon. I was the one wearing the hand-knitted comedy "boob" hat who spoke to you.


You told me that you took offence to the hat and I should take it off. I started to politely explain that "I am currently affected by breast cancer and have lost my hair through chemotherapy. I was hoping that the hat would encourage people to talk to me, so I could explain and raise awareness of the importance of knowing and checking your own breasts."


But you only let me get as far as telling you I had lost my hair through chemotherapy before you interrupted, telling me that perhaps I should stay behind closed doors until I didn't look like a "sick freak".


You then just walked off. I quietly paid for my shopping and left before anyone noticed the tears. Up until that point I had been dealing with cancer in a very positive and strong manner – positive mental attitude by the bucketload is how my consultant described it, but thanks to you, not any more.


I just wanted to fully explain as to why I wore the hat.



On Wednesday evening, a Facebook page, "Saffron Walden Boobiebellion", was set up and it's since gained more than 4,500 likes.


On Wednesday evening, a Facebook page, "Saffron Walden Boobiebellion", was set up and it's since gained more than 4,500 likes.


Twitter: @susborne




View Entire List ›






from BuzzFeed - Latest http://ift.tt/161J8j2

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment